Writing emails now goes beyond the text
GIFs are dynamic and engaging opportunities to enhance your emails. In this post, you will learn about what GIFs are, how they add value to your emails, and when they are used best. You can also input GIFs into your messages using GIPHY, a GIF service that integrates directly with your Apple Mail.
How many times do we receive an email and never look past the first few lines? Call-to-actions and informational newsletters can end up being distractions that we need to ignore, even if we are interested in the content. 🤔
If you are the one writing those emails, you may be searching for ways to draw people in. Pictures and videos break up monotonous lines of text and add humor and lightness to otherwise run-of-the-mill messages.
Embedding videos works sometimes but the format not always supported by all email providers. They take time, and sometimes even money to produce.
GIFs solve this problem and they are much easier to use now that you can integrate GIPHY into Apple Mail. 🥳
GIFs – Your favourited video clips, on a loop
GIFs are short video clips in their own self-contained frame set on a loop. They allow users to convey emotions that text or static images may not be able to accomplish.
Using GIFs helps emails look and feel more alive; they attract more attention and encourage readers to become more engaged.
They are also currently quite the trend. The millennial generation has grown up with this feature, so they know how to use them and appreciate the effects that they have.
These looping videos have proven their value in marketing contexts. Studies show that emails with GIFs are 6% more likely to be opened and 42% more likely to gain clicks for an email’s embedded links. Emails with GIFs also showed a 103% increase in conversion rate, and a 109% increase in revenue for the company sending them.
A little GIF etiquette goes a long way
✅ Appropriately use GIFs:
- When communicating with colleagues to have a little fun. It helps lighten the mood! 😜
- In community engagement with a young adult audience. They are run-of-the-mill millennial speak.
- To make a product stand out and emphasize a particular message. If a picture says a thousand words, how many more do GIFs say? 🤩
❌ Best to avoid GIFs:
- When talking about more serious topics like Finance or Accounting. 🏦
- To lighten the mood when the mood needs more gravity.
- If the images are very busy and thus hard to see when looped rapidly.
- When you have already used five other GIFs in the same email. Too much of a good thing… 😵
GIFs are easy to use with GIPHY
The GIPHY plug-in for Apple Mail allows you to add GIFs directly from the Apple Mail app. There is no multi-step process. Just a drag and click.
The best part: The GIPHY plug-in is free.
Visit our GIPHY page and write your name and email address to receive the free download link.
Additional information including how to install and set up GIPHY extension can be found on our knowledge base.